Bye Bye Russian Spam

I've been getting hit pretty heavily lately with a pile of Russian spam, so I decided to look into adding language based spam filtering to my mailserver. This post serves as a reminder of what I did, and hopefully also helps some others in a similar situation.


  • /etc/mail/spamassassin - Global
  • /usr/share/spamassassin - User

SpamAssassin Config File (

Add the following line to your config file, ensuring any other ok_locale lines are commented (#) to increase the score for all mail that isn't English or Japanese

ok_locale en ja

SpamAssassin TextCat Plugin (v310.pre)

For versions greater than 3.1, you will also need to enable TextCat. Make sure the loadplugin line is uncommented in the v310.pre file.

# TextCat - language guessor
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::TextCat


Now all thats left to do is restart your mailserver/spamassassin and you should be good to go!